Jobs at Holy Name of Mary
20 hours / week, schedule to be determined
Position Summary: The Communications Assistant provides support to the Communications Coordinator and others by providing the parish communication and technological support utilizing established print and digital media including Sunday bulletin, mid-week digital bulletin, social media, video and streaming technologies.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Non- Exempt Position
Part-Time, 20 hours per week
The major responsibilities include:
· Plan and organize volunteer’s ministry in collaboration with ministry leaders and staff.
· Work with parish ministry leaders to direct and coordinate annual ministry fair / gifts discovery process.
· Tabulate and provide parish staff and ministry groups with information pertinent to their ministry area. Follow up as needed to ensure that all parishioners who have volunteered are contacted and placed in an appropriate position.
· Find ways of encouraging those who are not yet active in the parish through short-term jobs or one-time volunteer opportunities.
· Work one weekend a month for “Volunteer Sunday” to meet, invite and encourage parishioners to become active in ministry.
· Promote an understanding of and commitment to lay ministry wherever it occurs:
home, workplace, parish, family and civic organizations.
· Assist in writing descriptions of existing volunteer opportunities and producing a ministry guide for print or web site use.
◦ Create effective bulletin articles, mass announcements, etc. to recruit volunteers
· Direct recruitment, interviewing, placing, training and evaluating of volunteers, including any necessary background checks for work with youth.
· Manage database in order that staff and ministry leaders have appropriate access to lists and reports concerning volunteers in their ministry areas.
· Manage MSP Scheduling program for all liturgical ministers and liaison with all liturgical leads
· Ensure that volunteer efforts are appropriately recognized and rewarded through Thank-you letters, information in bulletin and/or web site, or ministry (volunteer) recognition event.
· Coordinate and run the quarterly “new parishioner” events
· Keep current in the fields of lay ministry and volunteer management.
· Assist in identifying and matching people’s gifts, skills and interests to the tasks that need to be accomplished through gifts discovery workshops or inventories and personal interviews.
◦ Monitors volunteer’s utilization of talents
· Recruit Volunteers – Develop New Program – Institute Ministry Fair
· Assess Volunteers, gifts and talents
· Place Volunteers in appropriate ministries
· Follow-up with volunteers and maintain database
· Organization / record keeping
◦ Track volunteer placement
◦ Update volunteer roster
◦ Maintain Database for all volunteers
◦ Assist in developing policies and procedures for ministries, including monitoring term limits for ministry leads
· Interpersonal skills
◦ Maintain approachability and visibility on campus
◦ Follow up with ministry leads and volunteers
◦ Increase participation for current and & new parishioners and volunteers
◦ Facilitate training opportunities for ministry leads (part of Pastoral Plan)
· Commit enthusiastically to the mission of the parish
· Proficiency in MS Office and common office machines and procedures
· Ability to work within parish structures and policies
· Some Weekend hours and some evening hours will be required and will vary by event and season
· Knowledge of volunteer management
· Organization and verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to empower and motivate others
· Experience as a volunteer
· Facilitator not a doer of all things
· Active parishioner preferred
· Bilingual preferred